Thursday, January 24, 2013

Ahh, Myths... like dragons!

Pin It Now!

This week's Illustration Friday challenge (from illustrationfriday.com) was "Myth."  Couldn't let that one pass me by!  Plus, I had extra time this week because my teaching is mostly on break for Finals week.  Yes!

First off, I knew I wanted to do something with dragons.  Then I felt like I wanted to do something Celtic knotwork-ish.  Sketched around and came up with this fun little image.  Thought it would be fun to have a lady warrior challenging the beast.  I did the color and texture in a way that echoes the Book of Kells.  The technique was pencil sketch scanned and then colored in Photoshop.


2 comments:

Ailish said...

Nice!

I, too, turned to dragons and Celtic knotwork for this theme, but I think yours comes off rather better. Aside from the more airy dragon, the parchment texture seems to add a lot over the flat beige background I used. Well done.

Cindy D. said...

Very cool! And really nicely done in this style!